Roy Hodgson has admitted that Wilfried Zaha intends to leave Crystal Palace before the end of the transfer window despite a lack of offers.
Zaha, who scored the only goal in Crystal Palace’s 1-0 win against Southampton in their Premier League opener on Saturday, has been linked with a move away from the Eagles for some time now, with Everton and Arsenal have previously been touted as potential backers. .
Scout: Wilfried Zaha (£7.0m) scores early goal to clean sheet for Crystal Palace Alex McCarthy (£4.5m) – the most owned #FPL keeper
Zaha only scored 4 times in 2019/20 #CRYSOU pic.twitter.com/70ZGXyg0JS
— Fantasy Premier League (@OfficialFPL) September 12, 2020
The 27-year-old forward, who is contracted at Selhurst Park until 2023, has previously expressed his desire to play Champions League football. However, realistic talk of a move has been muted, amid a coronavirus-hit transfer window.
Hudson told BBC Sport after Saturday’s win that Zaha was “hopefully a big club would come and take him away from us”, but reiterated that his star man would not be sold on the cheap. .
Hodgson said: “I’m enjoying working with Wolff and I expect him to realize that we can’t let him go until someone comes in and buys him. Don’t want
“The fact that every transfer window involved in Wilf has made noise that he would love to play for a club that plays in the Champions League.
“But for anything to happen a club has to come along and pay the market price.”
Hudson wants to keep his Starman. /pool/gettyimages
Securing the Ivorian’s signature will not be easy. The Eagles have been steadfast in their valuation of the player in the past, rejecting interest from Arsenal and Everton in 2019.
Hodgson added that he expects Zaha to continue to play his best football and not make a move at Palace, even as his dream move this summer increases.
“We’re expecting him to accept the situation for what it is and continue to play his best football,” Hodgson said.