The Premier League has confirmed one positive coronavirus case from the latest round of tests.

The Premier League has confirmed that a positive case has emerged in the latest round of mass coronavirus testing.

In a statement on the Premier League’s official website, it was revealed that 1,829 players and club staff (a record high) had been tested for COVID-19 between Wednesday 17 and Sunday 21 June – the restart of play. After the first round of tests.

Premier League kits feature a special NHS badge to show support for health workers/Pool/Getty Images

Neither the individual nor the club has reported a single positive case.

A total of more than 10,000 tests have been carried out in the Premier League since May, with a total of 17 positive results. The 11th round of bi-weekly testing is scheduled to begin this weekend.

According to Premier League protocol, individuals who test positive for COVID-19 must self-isolate for seven days before further testing.

The Premier League has been forced to make a number of adjustments to the conduct of players and staff in order to safely restart the league after a three-month hiatus.

Players and staff have been asked to follow social distancing guidelines, avoid shaking hands and only use their own water bottles when celebrating goals.

A total of more than 10,000 tests have been carried out in the Premier League since May / Visionhaus/Getty Images

Earlier on Monday, it was reported that Arsenal had disrupted their Premier League return as three players were forced into isolation ahead of the defeat to Manchester City after a single positive test result.

According to David Ornstein of The Athletic, an unnamed Gunners player was contacted before the Premier League restarted after testing positive for the virus. After deciding that the individual in question had been in ‘close contact’ with two colleagues, the three were made to self-isolate and miss several days of training.

It is reported that Arsenal believe the test could be a ‘false positive’, as the player had previously tested negative and had done nothing to put himself at risk of catching the virus.

Lawrence Griffiths/Getty Images

All three players eventually tested negative in the next round of official Premier League testing and were cleared to return to action.

However, the situation proved unfortunate for Arsenal, who ended up losing the game 3–0 to Manchester City on 17 June.

Leave a Comment